· 2 cups frozen mixed berries
· 1/8 cup xylitol or raw honey or 15 drops liquid KAL liquid stevia, or to taste
· ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
· 2 teaspoons coconut flour or ½ teaspoon arrowroot powder (healthy alternative to cornstarch) or more to thicken to desired consistency
· ½ teaspoon maple flavor (optional)
1. Put berries in a saucepan on medium–low heat. Cover and simmer until berries are thawed and juicy.
2. Remove from heat and mash berries with a spoon or fork on the side of the pan until desired consistency.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until well incorporated. Cover until ready to serve. If you need to keep warm you can put back on low heat.
Frozen berries are best because they release a lot of liquid once thawed out, which makes a nice compote
Thaw out berries overnight in the refrigerator if you are pressed for time the following morning. Using them frozen works great too!