• 2 tablespoons mac nut oil or olive oil
• 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
• ¼ teaspoon garlic powder (NOT garlic salt)
• ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, if you like it spicy)
• 3 cups (1 pound) raw almonds and/or pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350º
2. In a medium bowl add the oil, smoked paprika, salt, garlic powder, chili powder and cayenne. Stir to combine and make a paste.
3. Add the almonds and/or pecans and stir until they are evenly and thoroughly coated. This takes about 3-4 minutes to get nuts evenly coated with spices… so stir, stir, stir.
4. On a cookie sheet with parchment paper place the almonds in a single layer.
5. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, opening the oven to shake the cookie sheet to turn the nuts over every few minutes. Make sure the nuts are in a single layer when you return them to the oven.
6. Remove from oven when the nuts are fragrant.
7. Allow the nuts to cool for about 10 minutes.
8. Once completely cooled store in a glass mason jar with lid in pantry.
Smoked paprika is essential in this recipe, regular paprika can’t be substituted. You can find smoked paprika in the spice section in most grocery stores, health stores or specialty shops like Williams Sonoma.
Chipotle chili powder is my favorite for this recipe, but regular chili powder will work great too.. it will just give it a different flavor.
Kaufmann 1 Friendly