This recipe can be tailored to your specific likes or ingredients you have on hand. Have fun experimenting and creating your own version. Use your favorite salsa, this gives the recipe the majority of its flavor.
2 cups chicken broth
3-4 inch piece kombu (1/2 a stick) optional, no taste -sea vegetable for extra nutrition
1 ⅓ cup uncooked quinoa
Use all or a variation of ingredients below:
cooked chicken or a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, shredded or diced
(1)16 oz jar salsa (made with apple cider vinegar versus distilled vinegar and no added sugar)
(1)15 oz can black beans (Phase 2)
(1) 2.25 oz can sliced black olives
1 bell pepper (any color)
handful fresh cilantro leaves
juice of 1 lime
1 avocado, diced or guacamole
Garlic salt, to taste (I like Mama Garlic by Frontier)
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
1. Add broth with a piece of kombu to a large stock pot, cover and bring to a boil.
2. Rinse your quinoa (if it is not pre-rinsed already) under cool water with a fine-mesh strainer. I buy Ancient Harvest which is already triple rinsed.
3. Add quinoa to the broth, cover and bring back to a boil then turn down to a simmer (low-heat) for 20–30 minutes, until no longer crunchy, all liquid is absorbed and it is light and fluffy. No need to stir while it is cooking.
4. Once all the liquid is absorbed, remove Kombu and stir in all other ingredients (except cilantro and avocado) until completely heated through.
5. Add salt, pepper and garlic salt to taste.
6. Take quinoa off of heat and stir in cilantro, if using.
7. Portion out into bowls in individual servings and top with avocado or guacamole, if using. Serve and enjoy!
8. Store leftovers in a covered glass Pyrex type container in refrigerator. Will keep for about 4 -5 days.
This is great hot or cold for lunch the next day.
If your quinoa seems to be sticking to the bottom of the pan your simmering heat is too high, so turn it down a bit. Once you add the salsa and veggies it helps the quinoa to release from the bottom if this happens.
Freezes great too!
All ingredients are optional. Find the combo of ingredients that you like best.