Youthful, vibrant skin has always been seen as a sign of good health, and most of want to do everything we can to keep our skin looking great. Maintaining Healthy Collagen Production can be key for this.
Doug Kaufmann talks about his time in dermatology in many of his books, and he frequently points out that problems on the skin were frequently a sign of problems deeper within the body. Often, when the possibility of an internal fungal problem was addressed, problems on the skin seemed to resolve. So part of the anti-fungal program and The Kaufmann Diets is designed to support good health from within, which is often visible on the skin. Many people with a myriad of skin conditions have benefited from The Kaufmann Anti-fungal Program.
We also know that there are some simple lifestyle choices we can make that will help keep our skin looking vibrant and youthful.
While some sun is good for vitamin D production in the body, it is always best to avoid getting so much sun that you skin burns. To this end, physical barriers such as clothing, hats and shade are good options if you are going to be outside during peak UV hours. More naturally-minded sunscreen is preferred when this must be used.
It is important to drink plenty of water and get enough vitamin C and vitamin E, which support the skin.
Among these important strategies for supporting skin health is maintaining healthy collagen production.
Many skin care products include collagen, but it is important to remember that collagen is not absorbed through the skin. Just like the anti-fungal program addresses problems from the inside out, supporting your collagen production works in much the same way. There are some healthy habits to cultivate which can assist to this end; all of these work within The Kaufmann Diet framework.
- Exclude drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes from your lifestyle. These can both damage collagen.
- Avoid eating foods high in sugar and/or added sugars, which are also thought to damage collagen.
- Foods thought to increase collagen production are fish high in omega 3 fats and bone broth. These are high in collagen.
- Supplement with vitamin C. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that supports your skin.
- Hyaluronic acid is another nutrient thought to support skin health.