Dairy-free and sugar-free! This rich creamy hot chocolate hits the spot on a cold winters day.
· 1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk – divided
· 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
· ½ teaspoon KAL liquid stevia
· Sprinkle of cinnamon and/or nutmeg
· Coconut whipped cream
· Peppermint extract
1. In a medium sauce-pan add cocoa powder and 1/3 cup coconut milk. Turn the heat to medium-low. With a whisk or small spatula combine ingredients to make a paste. Feel free to add another splash of coconut milk if you need to. The goal is to eliminate all the lumps of cocoa. Stir constantly so the mixture does not burn. About 2-3 minutes to eliminate all the lumps.
2. Once you’ve eliminated all the lumps add the rest of the coconut milk, almond milk, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, stevia and optional ingredients if desired, except for the whipped cream, of course. Whisk together.
3. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg if desired. Enjoy!
If you have trouble eliminating the cocoa clumps or don’t mind rinsing an extra item, just add all of the ingredients to a blender and then heat in a sauce-pan on the stove.