This is an easy dinner to throw together if you don’t have fresh ingredients on hand or you just need something healthy, but easy. You can stock all of these ingredients in your pantry and freezer so it’s handy for whenever you need it!
• 2 cups vegetable broth
• 3-4 inch piece kombu (half a stick) sea vegetable for extra nutrition, optional
• 1/3 cups uncooked quinoa
• 1 package Spicy Turkey Andouille Sausages or Turkey Kielbasa (I like Wellshire brand) or leftover cooked chicken (6-12 ounces), sliced
• Pesto to taste, about ½ cup or to taste (See recipe below or buy your favorite kind)
• 1 bag frozen mixed veggies (like cauliflower, carrots, etc.)
• Spinach, a few big handfuls (seems like a lot, but it wilts down, optional)
• Garlic salt, to taste (optional, I like Mama Garlic by Frontier)
• Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Add veggie broth with a piece of Kombu to a large stock pot, cover and bring to a boil.
2. Add quinoa to saucepan, cover and bring back to a boil then down to a simmer for 20–30 minutes, until no longer crunchy and all liquid is absorbed. No need to stir while it is cooking.
3. Once all the liquid is absorbed, stir in meat, pesto and veggies and warm over medium heat stirring occasionally.
4. After everything is heated through, add salt, pepper and garlic salt to taste. If using spinach add it now and stir into the quinoa and veggies. Cover for a few minutes until wilted. Serve and enjoy!
This is great hot or cold for lunch the next day.
Kaufmann 1 Friendly